Let Us Help You Get Your Basic Needs Met

Our mission at AVѧԺ is to help connect you with resources to meet your basic needs so you can focus your energy on your education with fewer worries.

Find Resources for:

This page is designed to meet the basic needs of our students and the guidelines set forth by . Please contact our Basic Needs Center if any corrections, edits or updates are needed on this page.

AVѧԺ Financial Aid staff are assisting a student through the counter window

Financial Support  

Visit Financial Aid to learn about other financial support options, as well as financial aid forms and resources

Student at the Food Pantry on Rocklin campus

Food Assistance

Learn how to access free and discounted food on- and off-campus.

Physician is helping the patient in the health center

Health and Wellness  

  • Student Health Services: As part of your tuition fees, we offer all students free or low-cost medical services provided by a nurse practitioner. Services include family planning/birth control, counseling, illness diagnosis/treatment, lab tests, health screenings, prescriptions, and Well Woman exams. 
  • Counseling: Our counselors can help guide and support you through your educational experience. We offer career and academic planning, plus short-term personal counseling.
  • Behavioral Intervention CARE Team: Our CARE Team provides coordinated support for students in distress and takes a proactive approach to address students’ concerns, including personal issues, academic progress and mental health.
  • Free access to mental health care: AVѧԺ students have FREE, 24/7 access to virtual care services with TimelyCare — the virtual health and well-being platform from TimelyMD, designed for college students. Students do not need insurance to access TimelyCare services.
  • Hygiene Products: The Food Pantry offers menstrual supplies and hygiene products in addition to stocking non-perishable food.
  • Free menstrual products (tampons and pads) can be found in all women and gender-neutral restrooms at our Rocklin, Nevada County and Tahoe-Truckee campuses.
Dorm room with two raised beds in student housing on Sierra Rocklin campus


  • Residence Hall: Rocklin Campus offers on-campus, student housing. Several spaces are open each year in the Residence Hall for unhoused or emergency situations involving students who need housing. 
Student receiving career advice

Jobs and Employment

  • Career and Transfer Connections: Our Career and Transfer Connection team provides resources and guidance to help students research careers, gain work experience, earn credit for internships and hone their professional development skills.
  • CalWORKS: CalWORKS helps students meet their Welfare-to-Work requirements. The program offers academic, personal and career counseling, educational expense cards, employment opportunities, financial grants, priority registration and loaner laptops and calculators.
Student wearing gray AVѧԺ sweatshirt using laptop outside the library on Rocklin campus

Laptops, Wi-Fi, Technology  

  • Student Tech Support: If you need help learning how to access and use AVѧԺ-related technology, our Student Tech Support team can help. 
  • CalWORKS: CalWORKS helps students meet their Welfare-to-Work requirements, and offers loaner laptops and calculators to eligible students. 
Title Ix Elevated View Woman With Her Daughter Using Laptop With Blank White Screen Freepix 2602012

Student-Parent Support

AVѧԺ provides support and resources for student-parents of children who are 18 years old and younger, and for students who are pregnant or expecting a child. For assistance and referrals, please contact our Basic Needs Center.

  • (requires mySierra log in)
  • Cooperative Agencies Resources for Education (CARE): The CARE program helps students who are single parents receiving cash-aid from CalWorks or Tribal TANF who want to receive college-level training or complete a specific educational program. Services may include meal cards, gas cards, child care assistance, school supplies and/or grant funds.
  • (Rocklin Campus, LR Building, Room 216): The room is equipped for students with children and can be reserved by any AVѧԺ student.
  • Lactation spaces: AVѧԺ offers lactation facilities at all four locations.
  • Pregnancy and parenting rights: Federal law under Title IX prohibits schools, like AVѧԺ, from discriminating against students because of pregnancy, childbirth, abortion, or recovery from these. You have the right to an equal education, including participating in class and having pregnancy-related absences excused.
  • Interior of city bus


    • Bus Services: If you’re looking for ways to save money on your commute, consider using public transportation. 
    • Transportation Assistance: If you need help with transportation to and from AVѧԺ, we offer transportation discounts and support to assist students on a case-by-case basis. 

Community Resources

  • : Find food, housing, and health and wellness resources available in your area.
  • : CAI provides resources and referral services for families seeking child care, child care subsidies for qualifying families and family education and support.
  • : The Resource and Referral program at PCOE provides free child care referrals, without discrimination and without regard to income, to all individuals seeking child development programs in Placer County.
  • : Use this local agency to find a job, gain job training, access job research resources or to attend job fairs and workshops.
  • : If you are experiencing a crisis or life-threatening emergency, call 911. Otherwise, use the Mental Health Resources list to find mental health support on- and off-campus.  
  • : Learn about health services, emergency services and other offerings in Nevada County.
  • : Use this guide to find family support, food assistance, clothing/furniture, disability services, employment services, health insurance/financial/general, medical/dental clinics, mental health/safety/violence/anger management, and transportation services.
  • : Learn more about in-home support services, Medi-cal, mental health, public health and other offerings in Placer County. 
  • : Learn more about transitional and permanent supportive housing available.
  • : Learn more about Placer County’s housing and homelessness programs, including emergency shelter, rapid re-housing, permanent supportive housing and housing vouchers.
  • Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) offers a supplemental nutrition program for women and families who qualify. WIC offers cards to buy healthy foods, nutrition information, breastfeeding education and support, and referrals to health and community services.

Get in Touch

Basic Needs Center


Building K, Room 1

Fall/Spring: M-Th, 12pm-4pm, F: 9am-12pm